In 1947 a group of students of Christian Science in the Grove City area began holding services in each other's homes. On October 15, 1958, First Seneca Bank and Trust Company made the basement of its Grove City building available for the group's church services. On March 19, 1964 the group organized into a Christian Science Society. In July 1965, a lot was purchased on Route 173. On October 15, 1966 ground was broken and the building was under roof by the end of the year. The members and friends furnished labor and materials to finish the interior, entrances, painting, lawn and shrubbery, and a parking lot.
The first church service was held in the new building on May 21, 1967. A Christian Science Church is dedicated only after it is free from debt. To complete the building and pay off the mortgage, members and friends contributed time and money. An anonymous donation was made freeing the debt that included an additional parking lot, pavement and a new organ. The church was dedicated eleven years after the first church service was held on Sunday, September 24, 1978.
Christian Science Grove City has been an active part of the Grove City community for 46 years. It serves the Western Pennsylvania region including Mercer, Lawrence, Venango, and Crawford counties. The church is a branch of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts founded in 1879 by Mary Baker Eddy. Find out more.
In addition to our church services and Sunday School, we also maintain a public Christian Science lending library and bookstore in the lower level of our church building. Our church also occasionally sponsors free talks for the community. These lectures address current issues through a biblical and healing perspective.
Please consider yourself invited to attend our services, visit our Reading Room, and enroll your children in our Sunday School.